Pages

Monday, May 16, 2016

the first fiber

Moving house unearthed some hidden treasures. I discovered not only exactly how much fiber I've hoarded (a lot), but also the first fleeces that got me into spinning.

During a road trip down the Oregon coast many years ago, we ran across a "wool factory" and had to stop. The store assistant was very nice and spent a good 45 minutes explaining how to clean and card the wool she was selling me. I had NO idea what I was doing, but took home a pound of Romney, a pound of Friesian, a drop spindle and some lavender oil.



I don't remember doing that much, but I cleaned, carded and spun 148 yards of Romney over the next few months. It is rough wool; not something you want directly on your skin. And super bulky.





It was my gateway drug into spinning more seriously. The only problem: what to do with this yarn? Can't quite decide what would be an appropriate project... all ideas welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment